To His Eminence, Raymond Leo, Cardinal Burke, Cardinal Patron of the Sovereign Order of Malta, Prefect Emeritus of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura, Cardinal Deacon of S. Agata dei Goti and son of Cork, we wish our most heartfelt good wishes for his birthday and many more of them.
To His Eminence, George, Cardinal Pell, Cardinal Prefect of the Secretariate of the Economy, Cardinal Priest of S. Maria Domenica Mazzarello, and son of Ireland, we wish our most heartfelt good wishes for his birthday and many more of them.
It was the first occasion that our Association made a pilgrimage to the Diocese of Cloyne.
Charleville, as its name suggests, was a plantation town, founded by Roger Boyle, Lord Orrery in the year after the restoration of King Charles II. However, it is as the seed-bed of nationalist poets, prelates and patriots that Charleville is most famous. It was the birthplace of Seán Mac Domhnaill and Daniel Mannix. Éamon de Valera walked from the nearby townland of Bruree to school there each day.
The following is from Fr. Thomas Walsh's History of the Irish Hierarchy, published in New York in 1854, chapter xlviii, at p. 491:
Tully about a mile south of Kildare. A commandery of knights hospitallers.
AD 1293 Thomas was prior.
AD 1326 a chapter of the order was held here.
AD 1337 Richard de Bran was preceptor. A chapter held here. Four others held.
Sir Henry Harrington and his heirs obtained a grant of its possessions three hundred acres of land at the annual rent of £21 6s 8d. The commandery is now always held by the [Anglican] bishop of Kildare in commendam.
After a pilgrimage to probably the finest gothic Church in Ireland, St. Patrick's Cathedral in Armagh, the only way to balance it was to visit the first post-Emancipation (and thus effectively the first post-Reformation) Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of Dublin, St. John the Baptist's, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.
The Church was built in the last decade of the archiepiscopate of Dr. Murray (1823-1854) to the design of Patrick Byrne, better known for his classical Church designs in the Archdiocese. The foundation stone was laid on the feast of St. John the Baptist's Nativity, 24th June, 1842, and completed and dedicated on 14th September, 1845.
The classical style was more 'Roman' and, since all the earlier gothic were in the hands of Anglicans, the classical style was used as a counterpoint by the emergent Catholic people of Dublin. However, the gothic revival, albeit in a functional form, had, at last, reached Catholic Dublin.
Blackrock was Byrne's third in the Archdiocese and his first in the gothic style. He followed St. John the Baptist's (1845) with St. James', James' Street (1844), completed in a much simplified form, and the Church of the Visitation, Fairview (1847), Ss. Alphonsus and Columba's, Ballybrack (1854), each in gothic. The old St. Pappan's, Ballymun (1848) was also to Byrne's design in gothic. He returned to the classical style for Our Lady, Refugium Peccatorum, Rathmines (1850) and the Three Patrons', Rathgar (1860).
The stained glass windows are remarkably eclectic. William Wailes designed the windows of the sanctuary gable (1845). Joshua Clarke designed the joyful and sorrowful mysteries windows in the organ loft (1898). Harry Clarke produced windows in the nave representing Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Ss. Sebastian, Hubert and Francis, and the Crucifixion (1925). Early & Co. produced windows depicting the life of St. Anne (c. 1930).
Our pilgrimage Mass was for the feast of St. Mark with a commemmoration of the Rogation Day. As you look at the reredos, to the left of Our Lady (center) is St. Peter and to his left is St. Mark. We were made exceptionally welcome by Fr. Delany, Kay and the whole community, and were treated to tea in the Parish Center after Mass.
St. Mark's Statue to the far left, then St. Peter, Our Lady, St. Paul and St. Luke
The Irish are very devoted to pilgrimage. In the Golden Age of Faith the Saints of Ireland undertook Peregrinatio Pro Christo to Heaven-knew-where to bring them the Catholic Faith. It is a startlingly rare thing to make a pilgrimage to Armagh, the seat of Saint Patrick, the Apostle of Ireland, and his successor the Primate of All Ireland, and, in a sense, the spiritual heart and ecclesiastical capital of Ireland.
The present Cathedral, the National Cathedral, as Cardinal Logue called it, was built between 1840 and 1904, the medieval Cathedral having been confiscated during the 16th century. Historic images of the Cathedral can be seen here.
The following is from Fr. Thomas Walsh's History of the Irish Hierarchy, published in New York in 1854, chapter xlviii, at p. 479 and following:
The Ruins of Clane Abbey
Clane gives its name to the barony. Saint Ailbe of Emly is said to have presented St. Sinell senior with a cell in which he had lived himself for some time at Clane. Sinell was the son of Kinfinnain and grandson of Imchad of the royal blood of Leinster. It is not known how long Sinell remained at Clane nor is the year of the donation by Ailbe of Emly ascertained. It may have been about the year 500. As Clane was not then a permanent establishment, Sinell moved to Killeigh where he established a monastery which in course of time became very celebrated. St. Sinell, the friend of the great Ailbe, is styled senior to distinguish him from Sinell who was a relative of his and a priest and who lived with him at his monastery of Killeigh. Having lived to a good old ago he died on the 26th of March AD 549.
Franciscan Friary was erected in Clane some time before the year 1266 by, it is said, Gerald Fitzmaurice, lord Offaley.
AD 1546 a provincial chapter was held here.
In the 24th of Henry VIII this abbey was given with its possessions forever to Robert Eustace and John Trevors at the annual rent of 2s 4d.
O'Sullivan relates that Eustace saw, as if in a vision, some one threatening him and foreboding destruction to himself and to his family should he consent to accept of church property. Be this as it may, James Eustace, the son and heir of the viscount Roland, was driven by the English from his patrimony and died in exile. Some Irish peers accepted of grants of property belonging to the church but generally they did not convert it to their own use. The annals of the four Masters in praise of Pierce Butler observe that he did not possess one penny of the property of the church of God by right of Pope or Prince.
In the parliament held AD 1556 the grants of church property made to laics during and after the reign of Henry VIII are confirmed and with the approbation of Pope Paul IV. Fourteen abbots sat in that parliament. Six or seven heads of religious orders are stated to have assented to the act.
On Saturday, 28th March, 2015, members and friends of the Catholic Heritage Association made their first pilgrimage to the Diocese of Clonfert culminating in a Latin Mass in St. Michael's Church (1858), Ballinasloe, Co. Galway. St. Michael's is one of the finest Churches in the Diocese, rivaling the Cathedral of the Diocese, Loughrea, 50 years its junior.
Born: 8 May 1861, Received into the Catholic Church: 21 December 1896, Received into the Sodality of Our Lady: 22 December 1896, Entered Society of Jesus: 7 September 1900, Ordained Priest: 28 July 1900, Died 19 February 1933.
Best Solution from Payday Loans Service
How could payday loans service be your best money problem solution? You see, money problem seems to continuously take place as far as you continue making som...